Saturday, March 21, 2009
"Charges in ULIPs & Mutual Funds"
Mr.Vivek asked :
My insurance agent told me that There are many internal charges in MF which are charged by MF companies but these charges are not visible to Normal investor.
He suggested : In case of ULIP, there are 2 things :
- charges are completely transparent then MFs
- And in long Term (10-15 yrs), ULIPs are cheaper than MFs in terms of charges.
Please suggest and draw some clear picture about charges.
SRIKANTH MATRUBAI replied :
Dear vivek, there is totally opposite picture what ur Insurance agent had advised u. Let me explain.
In case of MFs there r only 3 types of charges applicable -
1. Entry Load - It can be avoided if u invest directly to ur MF bypassing ur MF agent.
2. Exit Load - It can also be avoided by remaining invested for certain time period in that particular plan.
3. Fund Management Charge - It`s charged as a %age of total assets under the plan. Normally it varies from 0.25% to 2.5% depending upon type of funds (Debt to Eq.) as well as expertise of fund co. for a same set of MF plans, lower FMC Plan is always advisable for investment.
In case of ULIP following 4 types of charges r applicable.
1. Prem. allocation Charge - It may vary from as low as 1% to as high as 65-70% of ur first year prem. & reduced year after year or may remain same at a constant level say 4% or 5%.
2. Mortality Charges = It`s the basic cost of insurance & again it varies among Ins. cos.
3. Policy admin charges - Some ULIPs charge as low as 20 Rs. per month where as some charge as high as 200-300 Rs. per month. Again not constant among Ins. cos.
4. Fund Management charges - From 0.5% to 2.5% depending upon the type of Fund (debt to Equity).
From the above list u can judge urself that in case of MFs there is only 1 charge FMC, which u `ll have to pay but in case of ULIPs there r several charges & no common benchmark is there to see the impact of these charges. I do hope the message is clear to u.
Also visit http://equityadvise.blogspot.com for an indepth Equity Analysis